The Stiletto Contest returns and opens on Friday, March 3, 2017!
Categories for published novels and unpublished manuscripts:
Contemporary Romance Short – Novels that are set from 1950 to the present that focus primarily on the romantic relationship and that are between 40,000 and 56,000 words in length.
Contemporary Romance Mid Length – Novels that are set from 1950 to the present that focus primarily on the romantic relationship and that are between 56,000 and 84,000 words in length.
Contemporary Romance Long – Novels that are set from 1950 to the present that focus primarily on the romantic relationship and that are 84,000 or more words.
New Adult – Novels in which new adult life is an integral part of the plot.
Inspirational/Sweet – Novels in which the love story is central to the storyline, and the “heat level” between the main characters is low, with “closed door” intimacy. Novel with religious/spiritual beliefs may be an inherent part of the love story, character growth, and relationship development
Suspense/Mystery – Novels in which suspense, mystery, or thriller elements constitute an integral part of the plot.
Women’s Fiction – Novels in which a fictional story cannot fit neatly into a specific category and also has strong romantic elements with an emotionally satisfactory ending, set in the contemporary genre. In women’s fiction, the driving force is the woman’s journey and doesn’t necessarily end in a happily ever after. It is character driven and tells distinctly women’s stories about self-discovery, self-preservation, self-acceptance or self-improvement.
*Other category to enter after your main category choice: Best First Book.
*An Overall Top Winner in the published category will be chosen of all the finalists.
*Each category will have 3 finalists determined from first round judging.
** All categories are based on RWA standards/descriptions.
**All categories are in the contemporary romance genre. All entries must be in the contemporary romance genre.
See contest rules: 2017 Stiletto Contest Rules. (When clicking on Stiletto Contest rules, in media page click on the rules one time to enlarge to standard PDF file.)
Unpublished Category Finalist Judges:
- Contemporary Romance – Short
- Editor – Kerri Buckley, Carina Press
- Agent – Lois Winston, Ashley Grayson Literary Agency
- Contemporary Romance – Mid Length
- Editor – Susan Grimshaw, Loveswept/Flirt (Penguin-Random House)
- Agent – Tricia Skinner, The Fuse Agency
- Contemporary Romance – Long
- Editor – Deb Werksman, Sourcebooks
- Agent – Patricia Nelson, Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
- Contemporary Romantic Suspense
- Editor – Marie Force, Jack’s House Publishing
- Agent – Stephany Evans, FinePrint Literary Management
- New Adult
- Editor – TBD, Inkspell Publishing
- Agent – Sara Megibow, kt literary
- Editor – Dina Davis, Harlequin
- Agent – Nicole Resciniti, The Seymour Agency
- Women’s Fiction
- Editor – Rhonda Penders, Wild Rose Press
- Agent – Kristy Hunter, The Knight Agency
Published Category Finalists are based on first round judging scores.
Judges score sheet unpublished category: 2017 Stiletto Contest Unpublished Category Score Sheet
Judges score sheet published category: 2017 Stiletto Contest Published Category Score Sheet
Cost: $15 Contemporary Romance Writers, $25 non-members
Payment must be received before entry form is filled out. Submissions are open from Friday, March 3, 2017 through Friday, April 4, 2017 at 11:59pm EST.
Entering more than 1 manuscript or novel? Join the Contemporary Romance Writers and save on your entry fees, as well as take advantage of discounts on workshops, free workshops for members, access to the CRW forums on MyRWA, the private Facebook group, and more!