Happy almost NaNoWriMo from your friendly neighborhood blog! Last week, we posted a bit of an intro to NaNo with some inspiration.
As promised, we’re back with a list of resources and tools to help you get ready for the huge month. Of course, this list is only the tip of the iceberg and not everything on this list will work for everyone.
So please, leave a comment and let us know what works for you.
Enjoy the rest of your October and get as much sleep as you can!
Suggested October To-Do List:
1. Listen to podcasts. This episode of The Journeyman Writer is all about figuring out your writing process and making your process work for you. Yes, there’s mention of NaNo.
2. Have no clue what you’re going to write about? Here are some tips for waking up your muses:
- Draw a random Apples to Apples card or use a random word generator and write a scene that includes the specific word.
- Download an app with famous quotes and use the quotes as prompts.
- Use a tarot card deck or tarot card app to build your protagonist.
- Visit our archive of writing prompts and do some writing exercises.
3. The NaNo site has lots of tips for prep.
4. Don’t isolate yourself. Talk to fellow Wrimos and, of course, your fellow chapter members about your story.
5. Read, watch TV, and watch movies. You have an excuse! Interacting with story sets off alarm bells for your muses. Even one tiny line of dialogue could generate the best story idea ever.
Good luck, everyone! And we’ll be back regularly to cheer you on.