Only One More Week to Enter the Stiletto Contest!
The 2019 Stiletto Contest closes on April 12, 2109! Have you entered yet? There are even more categories to choose from this year, so grab your book or your manuscript, and check out where it fits in our chapter’s annual event.
We have three new categories this year.
- We added them to expand the reach and include works that are truly representative of contemporary romance. If you thought about entering in the past but didn’t know where your book would fit, maybe there’s a great place for you now!
Contemporary Romance Novella is for novellas 15,000-30,000 words long set from 1950 to the present day that focus primarily on the romantic relationship. These works are gaining in popularity, and adding this important category is so exciting!
- Veronica Park, an agent with Fuse Literary, and Alycia Tornetta, Editorial Director for Entangled Publishing, will be the final round judges for this UNPublished category.
Erotic / BDSM is for erotic romance novels, including those containing BDSM elements, in which strong, often explicit, sexual interaction is an inherent part of the entire story. Removing sexual interaction would damage the storyline. These entries must be at least 40,000 words and set from 1950 to the present day.
- Jamie Rose, an editor with Totally Bound Publishing, will be the final round judge for this UNPublished category.
Our last addition is Romantic Women’s Fiction / Chick Lit / Cozy Mystery. This category features stories many editors and agents are searching for right now. The story focuses on the journey of the heroine with a strong romantic storyline that is central to the story, but secondary to her personal journey. Again, these stories must be at least 40,000 words and set from 1950 to the present day.
- This was our most desired category by editors and agents!
- Kimberley Atkins, an editor with Hodder & Stoughton, and Nicole Payne, an agent with Golden Wheat Literary, are the final round judges for this category.
It wouldn’t be the Stiletto Contest without some of the same amazing categories returning year after year. We have to celebrate what makes CRW such a wonderful chapter.
Contemporary Romance Short, Mid, and Long are all stories that are set from 1950 to the present day and focus primarily on the romantic relationship. The lengths for each category are 30,000-55,000 for Short; 55,000-84,000 for Mid; and minimum 84,000 for Long.
- Meghan Farrell, an editor with Tule Publishing, and Veronica Park, an agent with Fuse Literary, will be the final round judges for Short.
- Sarah Blumenstock, an editor with Penguin Random House, and Jessica Errera, an agent with Jane Rotrosen Agency, are the final round judges for Mid.
- Rhonda Penders, an editor with The Wild Rose Press, and Eva Scalzo, an agent with Speilburg Literary, will be the final round judges for Long.
Romantic Suspense novels include mystery, suspense, or thriller elements as an integral part of the story alongside a romantic relationship. They are at least 40,000 words and set from 1950 to the present day.
- Deborah Nemeth, an editor with Carina Press, and Dawn Dowdle, an agent with The Blue Ridge Agency, will be the final round judges for this category.
Finally, we have YA / NA returning for this year. If your stories focus on the life of a young adult or new adult, bring us your entries! Young adult or new adult life must be central to the plot alongside a romantic relationship. Again, these stories are at least 40,000 words and set from 1950 to the present day.
- Stacey Donovan, an editor with Hallmark, and Kaitlyn Johnson, an agent with Corvisiero Agency, will be the final round judges for this category.
We’re getting down to the end, and maybe you’re still on the fence. No category is capped this year, which means you still have time to enter, but don’t wait until the last minute.
- All entries must be submitted, and correct, by Friday, April 12 at 11:59 pm EST. That means if you submit an entry and there is an issue, you could be disqualified if you wait until the last minute. We don’t want to see that happen!
Contemporary Romance Writers welcomes and encourages entries by diverse authors and including diverse characters.
Enter Now! (Link: )
is an author of more than 40 contemporary romance and romantic suspense novels. Her curvy heroines and sexy heroes steal the hearts of her readers and make them wish her characters were real. Mary is also the co-chair (with Liza Keogh) of the 2019 Stiletto Contest. Read more about Mary and her books at , where it’s a curvy road to happily ever after.