About Contemporary Romance Writers
Why a Contemporary Romance RWA chapter? As writers of this massive romance sub-genre, we feel it’s important for us to have an official presence and voice in the industry. We want to provide a place where all contemporary romantic fiction writers: Contemporary Romance, Suspense, New Adult, Young Adult, Chick Lit, Romantic Comedy, Women’s Fiction, and more, can not only be heard, but understood. Supported. Encouraged. Educated.
Read about our chapter’s Chick Lit roots.
Our chapter is dedicated to keeping up with industry trends and helping all of our writers navigate the path to publication whether traditional, self-published, or a hybrid of the two.
The Contemporary Romance Writers group is a place where you can mingle with other authors who understand you, your voice, and this popular romance sub-genre.
Unlike other RWA chapters, we’re not about location. You’ll be networking with people from every walk of life, all over the world. From all 50 states, from Europe, Australia, Asia, Canada. We’re creating a global, online community of writers who share the same interest–writing and publishing Contemporary Romance. There are no limitations to our discussions, information sharing, support and growth in our genre.
- To educate contemporary romantic fiction writers at all stages of their careers – offering valuable resources, craft, business, and industry advice, and timely industry news.
- To promote Contemporary Romance as a genre inclusive of authors – and characters – of all races, ethnicities, nationalities, ages, body sizes, physical appearances, disabilities, neurodiversities, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, religions, and other categories.
- To promote the Contemporary Romance genre and other forms of contemporary romantic fiction to the world via blog articles, interviews, and programming.
- To provide professional networking opportunities for all members – published or not.
- To provide social and moral support to those who choose to write contemporary romantic fiction.
What You Get From Membership:
- Exclusive web content with Contemporary Romance friendly industry news, editor and agent interviews and more.
- Shared lists of contemporary romantic fiction friendly publishers, agents and editors, and freelance editors.
- International, up-to-date news about contemporary romantic fiction publishers and trends.
- Discounted and/or free online workshops hosted by Contemporary Romance Writers focusing on craft, business, marketing/promoting, self-publishing, and more.
- Attend our yearly party and annual general membership meeting at the Romance Writers of America national conference.
- Discount pricing for entries to the annual Stiletto Contest.
- Access to our active private Facebook group and Contemporary Romance Writers RWA community forums.
- Online chapter meetings. They’re just like your local chapter meetings but from the comfort of your sofa!
- Access to the Contemporary Romance Writers critique group and Mentor/Mentee Program.
- Access to member-led writing sprints throughout the week.
- Opportunity for National Conference scholarships.
- Celebration of member new releases.
- Editor and agent pitch sessions.
- Lists of industry professionals for self-published authors.
- Attend the Contemporary Romance Writers retreats starting in 2018.
- Enter our annual Novel Celebration contest at the end of each year for a chance to win either your Contemporary Romance Writers membership or Romance Writers of America membership paid for the next year.
- Weekly topics in our Facebook group.
- Contemporary Romance Writers monthly newsletter.
- Access to the “Members Only” section of the website to access past online meetings and workshops.
- One of the lowest RWA chapter membership fees.
- Chapter Volunteers get nominated for the Contemporary Romance Writers Annual Service Award, announced at the annual Stiletto Party at the Romance Writers of America national conference.
- and so much more!
Chapter Anti-Harassment Policy:
Contemporary Romance Writers is committed to diversity, inclusion, and equality. We are inclusive of everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, nationality, age, body size, physical appearance, disabilities, neurodiversity, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, or any other category. We do not tolerate harassment in any form, and we take violations of this policy seriously.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to, hateful, offensive, or biased speech (including jokes); denigration of others; disruption of events; intimidation; stalking; harassing recording or photography; inappropriate physical contact; and unwelcome sexual attention. If members are told they’re engaging in harassing behavior, they must stop immediately.
To participate in our chapter, you agree to conduct yourself according to this policy, to treat everyone involved with respect and consideration, and to notify the chapter or national board should you observe any harassing or uncomfortable behavior. Violators of our Anti-Harassment Policy will be appropriately acted against, including the possibility of formal warnings, or expulsion from the event or chapter.