WHEN: June 1, 2024 – June 30, 2024 via GroupsIO
Show Don’t Tell: The Writer’s Golden Rule looks at different techniques of putting your readers into your story, and how to use them.
We will cover:
- Show vs. Tell?—Examines the difference between telling a story and showing it.
- The Five Senses—How to use the senses effectively.
- Action!—Using strong, active verbs past.
- Actions Speak Louder Than Words—Using Body Language.
- I Second That Emotion—Action, reaction, and inner thought.
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Dialogue—The unique voice and speech tags.
- The Devil’s in the Details—Using details while avoiding detail overload.
- Where in the World?—Using setting to show your story.
- Final Lesson–Show me your show-don’t-tell!
Included in the workshop is a workbook with assignments, checklists, worksheets, and more.
About the Instructor:
I believe I was destined to be interested in history. One of my distant ancestors, Thomas Aubert, reportedly sailed up the St. Lawrence River to discover Canada some 26 years before Jacques Cartier’s 1534 voyage. Another relative was a 17th Century “King’s Girl,” one of a group of young unmarried girls sent to New France (now the province of Quebec) as brides for the habitants (settlers) there.
My passion for reading made me long to write books like the ones I enjoyed, and I tried penning sequels to my favorite Nancy Drew mysteries. Later, fancying myself a female version of Andrew Lloyd Weber, I drafted a musical set in Paris during WWII.
A former journalist and lifelong Celtophile, I enjoyed a previous career as a reporter/editor for a small chain of community newspapers before returning to my first love, romantic fiction. My stories usually include an Irish setting, a hero or heroine, and sometimes all three.
I’m the author of The Claddagh Series, historical romances set in Ireland and beyond, and The Wild Geese Series, in which five Irish heroes return from the American Civil War to find love and adventure. I
also, teach specialized classes in fiction writing.
I’m a member of the Romance Writers of America and Hearts Through History Romance Writers. A lifelong resident of Montreal, Canada, I still live there with my own Celtic hero. I have two adult children.